6 Hygiene Tips to Prevent Root Canals
It is important to maintain a regular dental routine to keep your teeth clean and healthy. Here are some tips to improve your dental routine and prevent the need for fillings, crowns and root canals!
1. Diet: Some foods help to fight plaque naturally. Crispy foods like apples, celery and carrots can scrape plaque from your teeth between brushing times.
2. Brushing: Spend at least 2-3 minutes brushing your teeth in the morning and at night. Also, keep a toothbrush in your desk or purse and brush your teeth after lunch!
3. Flossing: Flossing is no fun, but it is important to remove the bacteria from between your teeth. This prevents plaque buildup and cavities! It is especially important to floss after eating food like seeded bread, stringy meat or popcorn.
4. Mouthwash: Mouthwash freshens your breath and fights plaque that can seem impossible to reach. Alcohol-free mouthwashes are highly recommended.
5. Toothbrush: Always use a soft bristled tooth brush. Replace your toothbrush every 3 months or when the bristles begin to fray.
6. Check the label: Always use ADA -approved products. There are so many to choose from, make sure they are ADA approved for the best results!
Andrew Stubbs, DMD is a specialist member of the American Association of Endodontists. He is a graduate of Boston University and maintains an ecofriendly dental practice in Lone Tree, CO. Dr. Stubbs specializes in root canal treatment and provides sedation dental treatment for patients from all over the Denver area.