Endodontic Case Assessment

As a general practitioner, one of the most common problems dentists face is treating patients with internal dental damage. A general dentist may choose to administer root canal therapy yourself, or may decide to refer them to an endodontist. This is an important decision that ultimately determines the patient’s experience and results.

If you are a dentist, your choice regarding referral versus in-house treatment may vary based on the patient’s unique needs. General practitioners should take into account the findings from the diagnostic assessment and x-rays, and the condition of both the patient along with the office capabilities.

Categories to Consider if You Are a Dentist

Take a look at the endodontics case assessment form to make the best decision for your patient’s treatment. If you believe the endodontic case you are facing may be moderately difficult or highly complicated, consider referring the patient to Creekside Endodontics. We hope we can relieve your stress while giving your patient a fantastic experience.

Some categories to consider when deciding to treat the patient in-house or to refer them out include:

  • Their oral health status, including decay and periodontal disease
  • Medical history or current problems that may make treatment more difficult
  • Difficulty becoming relaxed with anesthesia or sedation
  • Severe dental anxiety or fear
  • Location of the tooth damage
  • Anatomy and morphology of the roots


The AAE has developed practical tools to help every dentist overcome case assessment pitfalls:

If you’re interested in referring your patient to Creekside Endodontics for high quality care, don’t hesitate to give us a call.